A kidney organ culture comprised of human amniotic fluid-derived podocytes and glomerular endothelial cells
An in vitro system that mimics the complex architecture of the glomerular filtration barrier and that can be used to better study pathophysiology is urgently needed.
A kidney organ culture comprised of human amniotic fluid-derived podocytes and glomerular endothelial cells to mimic properties of the intact glomerulus both in terms of structure and filtration function. Inventors have worked out details on cell constraints and conditions to make this functional glomerulus-on-a-chip (GOAC) (, , and ).
- A glomerulus-on-a-chip to recapitulate the human glomerular filtration barrier, https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-019-11577-z
- Able to reproduce and predict kidney diseases with high fidelity
- Capable of producing a glomerular membrane with correct assembly of collagen IV and laminin
- Drug screening
- Basic kidney biology research
- Disease modeling
- Personalized medicine
CHLA Case No. 2019-003
- PCT Application filed: WO 2020/231833.
- Patent application submitted
- Development partner